Photographer Annie Leibovitz Artistic Evolution


I opened up my blog the other day after changing the banner and felt so pleased with it. This blog feels like it has become a true and accurate representation of my artwork. Then I laughed at the thought of having not only my brains on display but tiny pieces of my soul imprinted on each work and how I have connected to the many dimensions of the universe. I've learned it is impossible not to leave an imprint. Everyone of our decisions, actions and even non actions have consequences.

When I look at previous posts I can see my artistic evolution.

It was after watching a documentary last week about one of America's legendary photographers, Annie Liebovitz, I began thinking again about artistic evolution. The documentary is amazing. Her work is amazing. I highly recommend you watch. I've posted the trailer and description below. I could sit and stare at her photographs for hours.  Annie Liebovitz has captured history in a way that is elevated to art.

The following are Annie Liebovitz photographic works.  Amazing portrait photography.  Remember how I said every piece of art tells a story?  We can see Liebovitz evolution as a storyteller in these works of art. They inspire me. AL inspires me.

"A thing that you see in my pictures is that I was not afraid to fall in love with these people." Annie Leibovitz



John Lennon and Yoko Ono by Annie Leibovitz
Source: pbs.org via Letty on Pinterest

Arnold Schwarzenegger by Annie Leibovitz
Source: pbs.org via Letty on Pinterest

Angelina Jolie by Annie Liebovitz
Tina Fey by Annie Liebovitz

The White Stripes by Annie Liebovitz

"I didn't want to let women down. One of the stereotypes I see breaking is the idea of aging and older women not being beautiful." Annie Leibovitz

"The camera makes you forget you're there. It's not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much." Annie Leibovitz

"You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing stranger than truth." Annie Leibovitz




Photographer Annie Leibovitz has produced some of the most memorable and iconic images of the last 30 years, from her work with Rolling Stone magazine through to her Hollywood cover portraits at Vanity Fair. She has also recorded the horrors of war in Rwanda and Sarajevo and taken intimate shots her own friends and family, including Susan Sontag. This documentary, directed by her sister, is a fascinating portrait of a great talent, featuring vintage footage of Leibovitz in action during the 1960s and contributions from Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hillary Clinton, Mick Jagger and George Clooney.

Have you already watched?  Are you familiar with her work?  What did you think?